In addition to the procedures performed during a comprehensive eye exam, a contact lens exam at My Optometrist Calgary involves:
- A review of your lifestyle and wants and needs with respect to contact lenses.
- A discussion of your contact lens options, for example daily disposable lenses, overnight wear lenses, bifocal or multifocal lenses, coloured lenses, or specialty lenses to address the effects of corneal disease or prior injury.
- Measurement of the curvature of the cornea in order to select the most appropriate lens for your corneal size and shape.
- Measurements of your pupil and iris size to ensure proper contact lens selection.
- Evaluation of your tear film.
- Assessment of the contact lens fit and vision through the contact lens.
If it is your first time trying contact lenses, or if you are trying a new lens, you may be asked to try your lenses for a few days to see how they work for your daily activities, and to schedule a follow-up appointment. If you have never worn contact lenses before, we will teach you how to safely insert and remove your lenses, and how to properly take care of them before you leave. At subsequent appointments, your experience wearing the contact lenses will be reviewed, the vision through the contact lens and the fit will be re-assessed, and the health of your corneal surface will be evaluated. Once contact lenses have been selected that fit properly, provide clear vision, are comfortable for you to wear and successfully insert and remove, your optometrist can complete your contact lens prescription.