During these difficult and uncertain times, it’s more important than ever to take care of every aspect of your health, and that includes your eyes. While our Calgary optometrists are offering telehealth services and emergency eye care, there are some things you can do at home to protect your vision during COVID-19.
Good eyesight is a critical component of your overall well-being and a significant factor in retaining a high quality of life and independence. By practicing good eye care and making certain lifestyle changes, it is possible to:
- Lower your risk of blindness or vision loss
- Lower your risk of developing conditions such as cataracts and AMD
- Boost your productivity at home, work, and school
- Improve the quality of your life
- Enhance your performance in sports and other athletic activities
Our Calgary Optometrists are Committed to Helping You See Through COVID-19 Using Telehealth Services
At My Optometrist, our Calgary eye doctors are committed to helping you maintain clear and healthy vision during COVID-19 through our telehealth services, which include emergency telephone consultations, emergency repairs and medical care.
All of our emergency eye care services will be delivered with minimal contact in accordance with current social distancing directives. We have also increased the frequency and degree of our standard sanitation and disinfection procedures.
If you have an eye emergency, please contact our eye doctors by phone. Our Calgary optometrists are ready to serve you if required and we are working on telehealth eye services for the near future.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR TELEHEALTH SERVICES DURING COVID-19
5 Tips From Our Calgary Optometrists on How To Take Care of Your Eyes During COVID-19
Our eyes do wondrous things. Through a complex system, they take in information and have a direct connection with your brain, allowing you to visually process the world around you. Sadly, many people neglect caring for their eyes and when they have an issue or an eye emergency, they often pass on visiting their Calgary eye doctor.
However, emergency care from your eye doctor and regular eye exams are very important.. Aside from getting access to vision correct, such as contact lenses and eyeglasses, eye exams offer visibility into other healthcare concerns.
Not only will your optometrist be able to identify eye health issues, such a glaucoma or AMD, they can also diagnose other health concerns, such as:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Brain tumours
While we have put our regular eye exams on hold temporarily in our effort to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus, our Calgary eye doctors are still available for emergency eye care and any change in vision, eye pain, bleeding, or swelling, should be addressed promptly.
If you don’t have an eye emergency, there are certain things you can do to care for your eyes during this time, to prevent any loss of vision and protect your ocular health.
- Keep germs at bay. Wash your hands before touching your eyes. Whether you are putting in contact lenses or have a small irritation, you must thoroughly wash your hands before making physical contact with your eyes.
- Eat your vegetables. If you want to promote your eye health, eating leafy, dark greens are best! Add some spinach and kale to every meal to give it an eye-loving vitamin boost.
- Wear eye protection. Are you swimming or tackling a DIY project during this time of social distancing? Proper eye protection is vital for these tasks and for avoiding any eye injuries or loss of vision.
- Take breaks from your screen. You’re likely spending more time on your screen during this time, so make sure to give your eyes the proper rest from any work or entertainment on your mobile device. Remember the 20-20-20 and practicing this will help prevent eye fatigue and help with other health concerns, such as headaches and eye strain.
- Maintain a healthy body. Your eyes are part of your body, which means that they can be affected by unhealthy habits. Make sure you get the proper nutrition, stop smoking, and maintain a healthy body weight through physical activity, as this will help keep your vision sharp and eyes healthy.
Our Calgary Eye Doctors Are Here For You During This Trying Time
At My Optometrist, we want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we institute the upcoming emergency eyecare hours. These changes are necessary given the current situation and align with our commitment to keeping our patients, staff, and community safe and healthy.
However, please do reach out if you require any assistance with your eye health. Our Calgary eye doctors are prepared to provide emergency medical eye care and telehealth eyecare services whenever they are needed.
Alternatively, you can contact our clinics at 403-256-0606 (Health First Optometry), 403-291-0923 (Sunridge Vision Centre), or 403-443-2040 (Three Hills Optometry).